Tuesday, July 1, 2008

What's In You, Must Come Out of You

Good afternoon to my readers (those who comment and those who read but don't comment, lol)! I know that I'm a little late in putting up today's post up. But my job decided to actually give me some work to do this morning :) @ any rate, this piece is kind of a continuation from yesterday's. After work, I called one of my Spelman sister's c/o '04 who I met my first year. She's been one of the people I've admired, confided in, drank with, etc. But she's also offered encouragement and told me things I needed to do and accept, even if I didn't want to hear it. We began talking about the blog and she was commenting me on my writing skills, maturing over time, so on and so forth. So she semi-jokingly said, "Go head lil Renita Weems!" Now if you know who Rev. Dr. Renita J. Weems is, then you know that is not a compliment that should be taken lightly. As the conversation continued, I began to tell her how I don't consider myself a writer or anything like that. I'm a dancer/singer/actress type of girl...that is my artistic ability...that is the way I express myself. In my mind, when I think of writers, I think of women and men who have written profound books, dissertations, articles, and such...I haven't done any of that. One reason I didn't want to accept that about myself or make this blog public is because I didn't want people judging my writing. But as we continued talking, I could see how I am a writer and that it is a part of me that I need to accept. We also talked about how I often read Dr. Weems' blog, but I've only commented once because I don't feel like I have anything to contribute in the midst of smart, seasoned women. But J.Dub said a statement that is very true, "I know, we ALL know that you have an opinion. You wouldn't be WhitneyBond if you didn't."

I've listened to One is the Magic # (Redux) by Jill Scott, Say by John Mayer, and Get it Together by India.Arie to help me piece together my thoughts for today & I'll like to share a few lines from each song with you.

One is the Magic #
So many times I define my pride
Through somebody else's eyes (La da da, la da)
Then I looked inside and found my own stride,
I found the lasting love for me


Say
Even if your hands are shaking
And your faith is broken
Even as the eyes are closing
Do it with a heart wide open

Get it Together
Speak words of beauty and you will be there
No matter what anybody says
What matters most is what you think of yourself

So I've said all of this to say that there is probably something that you want to do, but you're afraid to do it. Whether it is starting beginner's ballett lessons @ 25 or 45, writing a book, adapting a script, seeking membership into organizations, going back to school...whatever it is, do it because there is only one you!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Ms. LiL Renita Weems (I cosign yes I do, yes I do)

I just wanted to let you know that I admire your bravery in making your blog public. I'm so glad you did because you inspired me to break out of my own fears and start making steps to REALLY put myself out there and accomplish some of the things that I haven't been hesitant to do because of my insecurities.

Gone ahead, gone ahead. LOl.

And I have commented on your blog I'm just not telling you whereeeee :)

Anonymous said...

Not haven't been... have been hesitant

*sigh* lol

Anonymous said...

The best writers are the ones who speak their minds and always have an opinion.

I'm not a writer either, but you always tell me differently...

and that is why we're twin souls!

Anonymous said...

Nike is famous for saying “Just do it”, but if you’re not a runner or an athlete is it really inspiring? Not until I read the blog today did I feel inspired. Reading something from one Spelman sister to another. And knowing that it’s nothing but wisdom because they know something about “Going thru” it. I can appreciate this blog not only because it’s venting in its purest form, but it’s a vivid look into a Beautiful Mind, Spirit and Soul.
Thank you Whitney Bond, for your contribution into the roots of my future.